The roles and responsibilities of a governor are many and varied.
In the first instance, we have a legal responsibility to ensure that the College is providing a good standard of teaching and learning, and we have a responsibility to ensure that the College is managed on a financially sound footing and that all appropriate policies, plans and procedures are effective and implemented.
To carry out the role required of us, we meet regularly at formal meetings of the full governing body and at sub-committee meetings to delve into aspects of the College management. These are explained in the find out more section.
We have developed our light touch to positive challenge, and balanced this with a strong support ethos through our understanding of the workings of our College. In offering our support and challenge we must be proactive and this we deliver in a variety of initiatives and activities, such as:
· Departmental links and visits
· Specific governor training
· Informal working group initiatives
· Engagement at open days
· Engagement at parent evenings
· Involvement in College Council
· Feedback from Student Voice
· Celebrating achievements
· Supporting concerts and events
· Voluntary governor fund
· Staff appointments
· Staff exit interviews
· Transition from Primary School
· Transition to Further Education
· Career opportunities
· Sharing best practice
· Communicating and listening